The world is in the midst of an innovation renaissance. Significant inventions in artificial intelligence, robotics, virtual reality, big data, biotech, drones, space exploration, 3D printing, FinTech, digital medicine, genetic engineering, and other areas are dramatically changing our every-day lives. The power of technology, once exclusively limited to big governments and industry, is now being democratized into the hands of ordinary citizens everywhere.
The first European United Nations Technology Innovation Lab (UNTIL) established in Finland focuses on engaging technology innovation in the thematic areas of circular economy, education, peace and security, and health. The UNTIL labs network with labs in Asia, Africa and other parts of the world is establishing a platform for problem-solving. United Nations, academia, civil society, start-ups as well as large companies are equally engaged in making UNTIL a valuable tool in the hands of countries embracing their journey to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals through technology innovation.
On Wednesday 5th December 2018, at the side of the SLUSH, a number of events are co-organized by the Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland and the United Nations Office for Information and Communication and Technology. SLUSH participants and the general public are cordially invited to come and learn and make partnerships with UNTIL in the following events:
Meet the United Nations Assistant Secretary-General for ICT at the UNTIL booth @SLUSH
When: 11:30 - 12:15
Where: Helsinki Expo and Convention Centre, SLUSH Partnership Area
UNTIL SLUSH Side Event: The Role of technology for the Sustainable Development Goals
Panel discussion with keynote speeches from:
- Ms Anne-Mari Virolainen, Minister for International Trade, Government of Finland
- Ms Atefeh Riazi, United Nations Assistant Secretary-General for ICT
- Mr. Fabrizio Hochschild, United Nations Assistant Secretary-General for Strategic Coordination
- Ms. Tuula Antola, Director of Economic and Business Development, City of Espoo
- Mr. Rajive Gulati, Assistant General Manager, Haryana State Electronics Development Corporation Ltd.
- Mr. Afiq Johar, Chief Fintech Officer, AIFC Fintech Hub
- Ms. Ilona Lundström, Director General, Department of Innovations and Enterprise Funding, Ministry of Economic Affairs
and Employment of Finland
- Mr. Hossam Osman, Innovation and learning adviser to the minister, Ministry of Communication and Information
- Mr. Parham A. Vasaiely, Chief, Automated Engineering, Jaguar Landrover
When: 13:00 - 14:30 pm
Where: Messukeskus Siipi, room Säde, Messuaukio 1, 00520 Helsinki
Tickets for this event ONLY are available here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/united-nations-technology-innovation-lab-finland-role-of-technology-innovation-in-advancing-the-tickets-52007098632
Ribbon-Cutting ceremony at the UNTIL lab (by invitation only)
When: 17:30 - 18:00 pm
Where: A Grid, Aalto University, Otakaari 5, 02150 Espoo
Media representatives are welcome to follow the events. RSVP is mandatory before attendance.
"The advances of the Fourth Industrial Revolution, including those brought on by a combination of computing power, robotics, big data and artificial intelligence, are generating revolutions in health care, transport and manufacturing.
I am convinced that these new capacities can help us to lift millions of people out of poverty, achieve the Sustainable Development Goals and enable developing countries to leap‑frog into a better future."
23 March 2018, New York