Hack the global consumption Challenge - Ultrahack Challenge with UNTIL Finland and VTT
United Nations Sustainability Goal #12: Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns. At the current time, material consumption of natural resources is increasing. Countries are also continuing to address challenges regarding air, water and soil pollution. Since sustainable consumption and production aims at “doing more and better with less,” net welfare gains from economic activities can increase by reducing resource use, degradation and pollution along the whole life cycle, while increasing quality of life.
Despite technological advances that have promoted energy efficiency gains, energy use in OECD countries will continue to grow another 35 per cent by 2020. Come up with solutions and platforms which reduce need of energy.
Should the global population reach 9.6 billion by 2050, the equivalent of almost three planets could be required to provide the natural resources needed to sustain current lifestyles. Come up with solutions and platforms which reduce level of material consumption.
Solution domains we appreciate
- New platform economy business models,
- New circular economy business models,
- Solutions which utilize AI, machine learning eg. for prediction, personalization and easy transaction, trend and value analysis,
- Blockchain for adding trust, transparency and efficiency in value networks
Prizes for winners
- 10 000€ in cash
- UNTIL Finland is co-hosting the Challenge to find potential partners, who may have the possibility of co-working in the Lab and access to UN networks.
- VTT is looking for most innovative proposals, which have an opportunity to collaborate with VTT expert pool and become joint R&D projects.
- The winners (up to three people) will also have the opportunity to present their demos at the world-leading start-up conference Slush in Helsinki in December 2018.
Join the Challenge